Monday, March 14, 2011

"A" For Effort

On my day off several days later, I had my bloodwork done.  My doc was testing hormones, insulin, and lots of other things I didn't even know I had.  In all, about 3 tubes of blood had to be taken out of me.  This would not be the last time I'd visit the vampires.

The next part of my homework involved getting a high definition ultrasound.  My doctor had said that this was necessary to make sure that I had all of my organs and to also to take a look at my ovaries to see if there were any major problems.

I scheduled the ultrasound a couple days later and got the directions to drink a lot of water to get my bladder full in order to get the best results from the images.  I arrived at the medical center and did the I-Gotta-Pee-Dance through the entire experience.  (Remember, I mentioned in an earlier post that I have a small bladder?)  The lady called me into the room and set to work examining my insides shown on the screen.  She even showed me where she could see my bladder filling.  I could feel it - I didn't really need to see that part.  I craned my neck to view all that she was doing.  I think there was a part of me that hoped she would exclaim, "Oh, there's a baby!" 

Is that crazy? 

I even held my breath a little.  In my mind, we had timed everything correctly that month and it was possible that there might be a little blob on the screen.  But no.  No blobs.  No exclamations.  Just a filling of the bladder.  A disappointment before I even got my period that month.  Should I be relieved or upset that I got the disappointment early?

We got to talking about what I do for a living and why I was there.  She told me that it was so unfair that I was having difficulty having a child and wished me the best of luck.  She finally let me down off the table and immediately showed me to the bathroom so I could relieve myself. 

My poor husband did his part, too, and gave a sample for analysis.  Homework was done - on time and completely.  That should earn us an A, right?  We deserved good results, at least I thought.

1 comment:

  1. Wouldn't it be great if that were the way it worked? You work hard and do your best and it all works out in the end. Its only fair.

    ReplyDelete