Tuesday, May 29, 2012

What Was Different the Time that Worked

There were several things that we did differently on this 3rd round of IVF that was (finally) successful.  I'm not positive that any of these things were the "make it or break it" part of the cycle, but if just one small thing helps someone else, it is worth it to share!

1. This 3rd round of IVF was our 1st FET.  The FET was easier on my body.  I wasn't having to heal from a retrieval procedure.  I had no OHSS going on. 
2. I used acupuncture this time.  I saw someone who knew the protocol for assisting with reproduction here in my town who had had success in the past with getting people pregnant.  While I'm still not sure acupuncture is the reason it worked this time, it was a stress reliever, for sure! 
3.  I had read that laughter was good for implantation, so I listened to and watched comedies the entire time I was down for bedrest the couple of days after transfer.  We even listened to funny radio DJ's on our way home from the dr. 
4.  I took an extra day at home.  The dr. said I had to be on bedrest for a couple of days.  I went ahead and took one more day at home.  I wasn't on strict bedrest, but I did take it easy for an extra day. 
5. I took a baby aspirin each morning.  I hadn't done that the other 2 rounds.  The dr. told me to go ahead and try it this time.  He said that the medical community used to always make this part of the drug protocol, but research was "iffy" nowadays as to whether it actually helped or not.
6.  I ate the core of a pineapple for 5 days starting on transfer day.  I had read that there is something in the core of a pineapple that actually helps with implantation.  Hubby went and got a fresh pineapple, cut the core into 5 pieces, and served it to me each day, starting on transfer day. 
7.  Then, of course, there was the Baby Dance I did with my kids at the Center.  See THIS POST if you don't know what I'm talking about.  The kids' dances always work.  It's some sort of magical thing that I cannot explain.

As you can see, this round was more of a "if it doesn't hurt and may help, we'll try it!"  Who knows whether any of this really helped or not.  But, I figured it was worth sharing if it can help someone else!

7 comments:

  1. Rather it was all of the listed above or just one, it did work! After my failed ivf I thought I wouldnt do acupuncture again, but I have decided that regardless it did help with my stress at the very least.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whatever did the trick, I'm so glad it worked! I'm sure #1 is very important though. For me it was also so much less stressful. Acupuncture never did anything for me (I did it both during IF and as preparation for labor) but I know it does do wonders for lots of other people. Our clinic doesn't believe in bedrest at all, but after my FET I did spend some time in the hammock, so yes, it might work ;-)
    Hope all is well with you and your belly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. I'm definately going to eat a lot of pineapple!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Knowing about your successful FET after two failed fresh cycles is giving me so much hope for our first FET coming up next month. Thank you for sharing your journey - best wishes and much happiness to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you and your little one are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just checking in, wondering if everything is ok. You haven't posted in almost two months.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just thinking about you, wondering how things are going.

    ReplyDelete